It all began with a shooting star, a man of genius and vision: Mr. Gour Gopal Saha started the Standard Medicals Research Institute circa 1945 with the objective of attending to the medicinal needs of Bengal. Historically, this was around the time when pharma-manufacturing was gaining prominence in the Eastern part of India, continuing the proud tradition of luminaries like Dr. Prafulla Chandra Roy.
The company started with a manufacturing facility in a part of North Calcutta. At the time its operations were confined to the preparation of oral liquid-based products like cough syrups, digestive aids and nutritional tonics.
Subsequently circa 1950, the institute was incorporated into a private limited company and in 1951 it acquired its modern abridged name: Stadmed. This started a phase of rapid expansion and growth. The first acquisition was a large piece of land in the Dumdum suburb of Calcutta near the airport where the first manufacturing plant was constructed.
Bolstered by the new facilities, liquid products like Alkasol (a systemic alkalizer), which to this day remains one of our star therapeutics, quickly made headway into the market. Pulmocod, which is prescribed for pulmonary diseases and Aminozyme – a nutritional supplement made from amino acids, joined Alkasol’s popularity among our consumers.