INTRODUCTION OF CASTRAMID 50MG
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET contains Bicalutamide which belongs to a group of medicines called Anti-androgens. It is used in the treatment of prostate cancer in adult male patients. Prostate cancer is a type of slow growing cancer that occurs in the cells of the prostate gland (a small walnut-shaped gland that provides nourishment to sperm in males) that grows out of control and spread to other parts of the body.
Prostate cancer is characterized by symptoms such as troubled urination, blood in urine, urge to urinate frequently at night, blood in semen, bone pain, losing weight without trying, pain while sitting and erectile dysfunction. During treatment with CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET, your doctor may perform blood tests to check for any changes to your blood.
Avoid direct exposure to excessive sunlight or UV light while you are taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET. Before taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET, inform your doctor if you have any liver or heart problems or diabetes. CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is not recommended for use in women, including pregnant women or mothers who are breast-feeding their babies.
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is also not recommended for use in children and adolescents (less than 18 years of age). The most common side effects of taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET are skin rash, breast swelling or tenderness, weakness, loss of appetite, dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, etc. Call your doctor if any of the symptoms gets worse over time.
USES OF CASTRAMID 50MG
- Treats prostate cancer in adult male patients
HOW CASTRAMID 50MG WORKS?
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET inhibits cell growth and prevents spread of cancer cells from the prostate gland to other parts of the body by selectively blocking proteins responsible for growth and development of prostate gland (androgen receptors) which reduces the effect of androgen (male sex hormone) in the prostate gland.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Take CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET as advised by your physician. Swallow with a glass of water and do not chew or crush it. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration of CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET treatment for you depending upon your age, body weight and disease condition. Do not stop taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET unless your doctor advises you to stop.
SIDE EFFECTS OF CASTRAMID 50MG
COMMON EFFECTS OF CASTRAMID 50MG
- Skin rash, dry skin, itching
- Swollen and tender breast tissue
- Feeling weak, tired and pale due to anemia (decrease in red blood cells)
- Reduced appetite, sex drive and fertility
- Dizziness, sleepiness
- Hot flushes, constipation, indigestion, wind, nausea
- Hair loss or increased hair growth on the body
- Chest pain, heart attack, reduced heart function
- Weight gain
RARE EFFECTS OF CASTRAMID 50MG
- Increased skin sensitivity to sunlight
Stop taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET and contact your doctor if you experience any of the following side effects:
- Signs of allergic reactions (rash, itching or hives on the skin, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat or other parts of the body, shortness of breath, wheezing or trouble breathing)
- Signs of liver disease (yellowing of the skin or whites of your eyes, also called jaundice)
- Stomach pain
- Blood in your urine
- Signs of interstitial lung disease (serious shortness of breath with or without a cough or fever)
- Changes in ECG (QT prolongation)
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
When you feel dizzy, lie or sit down immediately. Lie-down in a dark and quite place with eyes closed. Vehicle driving should be avoided if you experience frequent dizziness without warning. If symptom persists, contact your doctor.
Nausea and vomiting:
Try to take CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET with or just after a meal or a snack. Stick to simple meals. Avoid eating oily or spicy food. Drink ice cold drinks. Try to avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Avoid drinking too much liquid along with your meals, drink slowly in between meals. If symptom persists, contact your doctor.
Try to eat more high-fiber foods such as fresh fruit, vegetables, cereals, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly. If this does not help, inform your doctor for receiving alternate treatments for constipation.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is not recommended for use in pregnant women. Patients and their partners should use birth control while taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET and for 130 days after stopping the treatment. Consult your doctor before taking it.
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking it.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or operate any machines if you feel sleepy after taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET.
No dosage adjustment of CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is necessary for patients with kidney impairment. Consult your doctor before taking it.
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET should be used with caution in patients with liver problems. Consult your doctor before taking it.
Do not take CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET if you are allergic to Bicalutamide or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET should be used with caution in patients having any heart or blood vessel conditions, including heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia) or are being treated with medicines for these conditions. Consult your doctor before taking it.
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
- Are a woman
Before taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET, inform your doctor if you:
- Have diabetes
Use in Pediatrics:
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET is not recommended for use in children and adolescents (below 18 years of age). Consult your child’s doctor for advice.
Use in Geriatrics:
CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET can be used in elderly patients (aged 70 years or above) only if the life expectancy exceeds 10 years. Consult your doctor before taking it.
A. Drug – Drug Interactions:
Before taking CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET, inform your doctor, if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Cisapride (used for stomach disorders)
- Terfenadine, astemizole (medicines used for hay fever or allergy)
- Medicines used to treat heart rhythm problems (Ex. quinidine, procainamide, amiodarone and sotalol)
- Methadone (medicine used for pain relief and drug addiction detoxification)
- Moxifloxacin (an antibiotic used in infections)
- Medicines used for serious mental illnesses (Ex. clozapine, cariprazine)
- Medicines used to prevent blood clots (Ex. warfarin, heparin)
- Ciclosporin (medicine used to suppress your immune system to prevent and treat rejection of a transplanted organ or bone marrow)
- Certain medicines used to treat high blood pressure or other heart conditions (Ex. amlodipine, nifedipine)
- Cimetidine (used to treat stomach ulcers)
- Ketoconazole (used to treat fungal infections of the skin and nails)
- Medicines used in certain cancer treatments (Ex. buserelin, leuprorelin, triptorelin)
If you or anyone else accidentally take too much of CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET, contact your doctor immediately or go to a hospital straight away.
- Keep CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET out of reach of children
- Store CASTRAMID 50MG TABLET between 20-25°C
There are no reviews yet.