About Alevo 500mg Tablet
ALEVO 500MG TABLET contains Levofloxacin which belongs to the group of medicines called Antibiotics. ALEVO 500MG TABLET is used to treat infections of acute sinusitis, lungs (such as long-term breathing problems/pneumonia), urinary tract (including kidney and bladder), prostate gland and skin & soft tissue (including muscles) in affected individuals.
It is also used to reduce the chances of getting anthrax (pulmonary disease) or worsening of the disease after getting exposed to anthrax causing bacteria.
ALEVO 500MG TABLET is not recommended for use in patients allergic to levofloxacin and/or other quinolone antibiotics (such as moxifloxacin, ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin). It is also not recommended for use in patients suffering from epilepsy (seizure) and/or tendinitis (inflammation/irritation of tendon).
Before taking ALEVO 500MG TABLET, inform your doctor if you have/had brain damage (due to stroke/other brain injury), diabetes, myasthenia gravis (long term neuromuscular junction disease), aneurysm (condition that occurs due to bulge or enlargement of large blood vessel), organ transplantation, heart problems (such as very slow heart rhythm, weak heart, myocardial infarction), kidney problems and/or liver problems.
ALEVO 500MG TABLET is not recommended for use during pregnancy and in women planning for pregnancy. It is also not recommended for use in breastfeeding women.
ALEVO 500MG TABLET is not recommended for use in children and adolescents (aged below 18 years). The medicine can be used with caution in elderly patients (aged above 60 years) after consulting the doctor.
The most common side effects after taking ALEVO 500MG TABLET are sleeping problems, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if any of these symptoms worsens.
Benefits of Alevo 500mg Tablet
In Treatment of Bacterial infections
Alevo 500 Tablet is an antibiotic medicine which can be used to treat many different infections caused by bacteria. These include infections of the ear, nose, throat, lungs, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissues. It works by killing and stopping the growth of the bacteria causing the infection.
This medicine usually makes you feel better quite quickly. However, you should continue taking it as long as it is prescribed, even when you feel better, to make sure that all bacteria are killed and do not become resistant.
How to use Alevo 500mg Tablet
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Alevo 500 Tablet may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
Avoid Alevo 500 Tablet with dairy products such as milk, cheese, curd, butter, paneer and ice cream.
How Alevo 500mg Tablet Works
Alevo 500 Tablet is an antibiotic. It works by stopping the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase. This prevents the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing, thereby killing them.
Side Effects of Alevo 500mg Tablet
Common Side Effects
- Sleeping problems
- Headache, dizziness
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea
Uncommon Side Effects
- Candidiasis (a fungal infection)
- Anxiety, confusion, nervousness, sleepiness, trembling and spinning sensation
- Shortness of breath
- Altered taste, loss of appetite, stomach upset, indigestion, stomach-ache, flatulence, constipation
- Itching, skin rash, red itchy welts, hyperhidrosis (increased sweating)
- Joint and muscle pain
- General weakness
Rare Side Effects
- Signs of low blood sugar such as shakiness, sweating, headache, hunger and/or nausea
- Depression, mental problems, agitation, abnormal dreams/nightmares
- Tingling sensation in hands and feet
- Hearing impairment (tinnitus), blurred vision
- Fever, racing heartbeat, low blood pressure, muscle weakness
- Interstitial nephritis (allergic kidney reaction associated with altered kidney function and occasional kidney failure)
- Sharply demarcated, erythematous patches with/without blisters.