DANOGEN 200MG contains Danazol which is in a class of medications called androgenic hormones. It used to treat endometriosis (where the tissue that normally lines your womb and is shed during your period grows outside your womb). You may be given Danazol before or after surgery for the endometriosis. Danazol is a synthetic androgen. Androgens are hormones produced by the male testes. They are responsible for the functioning of the male reproductive system and the development of the male characteristics, such as facial hair and a deep voice. The ovaries also produce small amounts of androgens.
Always take DANOGEN 200MG exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not split, chew, or crush this medicine. Swallow the medicine whole, with water. It helps in the treatment of the endometriosis and has same effectiveness as the other hormonal treatments. However, it has androgenic (male-like) side effects, including weight gain, increased body hair and acne. Its unpleasant side effects and its tendency to adversely affect blood lipid (cholesterol) levels mean it is not usually the first choice of treatment for endometriosis.
USES OF DANOGEN 200MG
- Endometriosis (where the tissue that normally lines your womb and is shed during your period grows outside your womb)
- Painful or heavy periods (menorrhagia)
- Painful breast disease but not malignant
- Enlarged breasts (in both men and women)
HOW DANOGEN 200MG WORKS
DANOGEN 200MG does not cure endometriosis permanently. Rather, it suppresses its growth and development temporarily, so the disease may recur following treatment. It has a multiple effect on the body. Some of these effects combine to produce high levels of androgen and low levels of oestrogen in the body. This hormonal environment stops menstruation and suppresses the growth of endometrial implants, causing them to degenerate.
Most women will stop ovulating and menstruating by the second month of treatment, though this may depend on the dosage used. The symptoms of endometriosis usually begin to diminish by the end of the second month. Most women will resume ovulating and menstruating within 4–6 weeks of stopping treatment.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Always take DANOGEN 200MG exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not split, chew, or crush this medicine. Swallow the medicine whole, with water.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DANOGEN 200MG
- Allergic reaction (skin rash, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, swallowing or breathing problems)
- Pain or tightness in the chest or arm. These could be signs of a heart attack
- Blurred vision
- Hair loss
- Skin rash
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Weight gain
- Changes in sex drive (libido)
- Increased appetite, anxiety, nervousness, depression
- Breathlessness, swelling or inflammation of the lungs (interstitial pneumonitis)
- Sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- Changes in the number of red blood cells or platelets in your blood. You may also notice that you bruise or bleed easily or unexpectedly
- Increase in certain types of the white blood cells
- Raised levels of an enzyme (creatine phosphokinase)
- Changes in the level of fat (lipid) in your blood
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Nausea and vomiting:
Keep try taking this medicine with, or just after, a meal or snack and stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy food.
Rest and drink plenty of fluids. Apply a cold, wet cloth or ice pack to your forehead. Rest in a quiet, comfortable, dark room.
Avoid hot showers or baths because hot water can irritate the skin. Moisturizers can be used regular basis to soothe and hydrate the affected area.
Try to rest and relax. You can eat and drink slowly or have frequent meals. Keeping a heat pad or a covered hot water pack on your stomach may also help. If still pain persists, speak to your doctor.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
DANOGEN 200MG is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
DANOGEN 200MG is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women unless necessary. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or using any tools or machines if your ability is affected by this medicine.
Do not drink alcohol while you are taking the medicine. This is because drinking alcohol while taking DANOGEN 200MG can make you feel sick or short of breath.
DANOGEN 200MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe kidney disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
DANOGEN 200MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe liver disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine, if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to this medicine or any other ingredients in this medicine.
DANOGEN 200MG should be used with caution in patients suffering from active heart diseases. Before taking, this medicine consult your doctor.
Tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription or the following:
- Medicines for epilepsy, fits or convulsions (anticonvulsants)
- Medicines used to thin the blood (warfarin)
- Steroids such as testosterone, estrogen, progesterone (including ‘the Pill’ or hormone replacement therapy – known as HRT)
- Statins such as simvastatin. It may increase the risk of muscle weakness or rapid breakdown of muscle
Store below 20-25°C and keep out of reach of children.
There are no reviews yet.