INFORMATION ABOUT MONIT GTN
MONIT GTN 2.6MG contains Nitroglycerin (glyceryl trinitrate) which belongs to a group of medicines called vasodilators. It is used to prevent and treat chest pain caused by angina pectoris. Angina pectoris is defined as a sudden, sharp, severe pain originating from the apex of heart and radiating to the left shoulder. The pain is severe and crushing, and it is characterized by feeling of pressure and suffocation, behind breastbone. It occurs when there is an inadequate supply of oxygen for the heart.
Nitroglycerin works by relaxing the blood vessels of your heart, and this reduces the strain on the heart by making it easier to pump blood. Along with the treatment, your doctor might ask you to make certain lifestyle changes such as quitting alcohol and smoking, improve your sleep at night, eating a healthy diet and manage weight.
Your doctor will decide the correct dose for you depending upon your condition. The most common side effect of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness and irregular heartbeat. Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you have severe anemia, increased intracranial pressure, cerebral haemorrhage, diabetes or glaucoma (increased pressure in eye). If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, ask your doctor for advice before taking this medicine. This medicine is generally not recommended for use in children.
USES OF MONIT GTN
- Prevents and treats chest pain associated with angina pectoris in adults
HOW MONIT GTN WORKS
Nitroglycerin is converted into free radical nitric oxide which activates the enzyme guanylate cyclase. Activation of this enzyme leads to dephosphorylation, which relaxes vascular smooth muscles and blood vessels in your body which increases the amount of blood and oxygen flow to the heart. It reduces cardiac preload and afterload and also reduces spasm of coronary artery, decreasing systemic vascular resistance and blood pressure. This helps in relieving chest pain (angina) and in the management of blood pressure.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Always take MONIT GTN 2.6MG as directed by your physician. Sit down and place 1 tablet beneath your tongue and allow it to dissolve slowly. If symptoms are not relieved, repeat the dose after 5 minutes. Do not swallow the medicine. If still pain persists after a total of 3 doses in 15 minutes, you should seek immediate medical advice. Your doctor will decide the correct dose for you depending upon your condition. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
Oral Tablet or Capsule:
Always take MONIT GTN 2.6MG as directed by your physician. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. The usual dosage is 1 or 2 tablet, three times a day, between meals. Your doctor will decide the correct dose for you depending upon your condition. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.
SIDE EFFECTS OF MONIT GTN
Serious Side Effects
- Worsening of angina symptoms such as chest pain, hypoxia , difficulty in breathing, cyanosis (blue colouring of the lips, fingers or toes), irregular heartbeat, weakness in one entire side of the body, slurred speech, loss of coordination and allergic skin reactions
Common Side Effects
- Dizziness or light-headedness, especially when getting up from a sitting position
- Flushing of the face
- Lack of energy
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Apply hot or cold-water bag on your head. Take rest in a quiet and dark room. Drink tea or coffee.
Dizziness or drowsiness:
Try to rest and relax. Avoid travelling, driving or standing for a long time. If symptoms worsen, consult your doctor immediately.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
MONIT GTN 2.6MG should be used with caution in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
MONIT GTN 2.6MG should be used with caution in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Driving And Using Machines
Do not drive or operate any machines if your ability is affected by this medicine.
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended during treatment with this medicine.
MONIT GTN 2.6MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe kidney disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
MONIT GTN 2.6MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe liver disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to nitroglycerin.
MONIT GTN 2.6MG should be taken with caution in patients with heart disease other than angina. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine, if you have:
- Severe anemia, increased intracranial pressure, cerebral haemorrhage, diabetes or glaucoma (increased pressure in eye)
- An under active thyroid gland, hypothermia (low body temperature), malnutrition (poor nutrition due to an unbalanced diet) or glaucoma
Talk to your doctor, if you are taking,
- Medicines used to treat erectile dysfunction (e.g. alprostadil, sildenafil, tadalafil or vardenafil)
- Other medicine used to treat angina such as long acting nitrates (isosorbide dinitrate, isosorbide mononitrate)
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure (propranolol, captopril)
- Medicines used to treat depression or other mental health conditions
- Medicines used to treat migraine (ergot alkaloids)
- Heparin (used to thin the blood)
- Apomorphine (used to treat Parkinson’s disease)
Store below 20-25°C and keep out of reach of children.
FAQ’s About MONIT GTN
1. Can I drive or ride bike while taking [GBNKYWORD]?
Ans: No. Do not drive or operate any machines while taking this medicine, because this medicine might cause dizziness.
2: Can I drink alcohol while taking [GBNKYWORD]?
Ans: No. Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine, because this medicine might make you feel dizzier.
3: What happens when I stop taking MONIT GTN 2.6MG?
Ans: Do not stop using this medicine, without consulting your doctor. Continue to take this medicine, as long as your doctor tells you to do so, to obtain better results.