LEKAST TABLET is a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast which belongs to the group of medicines called H1 receptor antagonists and Leukotriene receptor antagonists respectively. LEKAST TABLET is indicated for the treatment and prevention of allergic rhinitis, chronic idiopathic urticaria (allergic skin reaction with red raised itchy bumps on skin) and bronchial asthma in adults and in adolescents (aged 15 years or above).
Allergic rhinitis (also known as hay fever) is a heterogeneous disorder characterized by inflammation of the inner lining of nose accompanied by nasal decongestion, repeated sneezing, wheezing, or a red, watery and itchy eyes.
It is usually caused by allergens such as pollens, dusts, mould or flakes of skin from certain animals and can occur seasonally or year-round. Bronchial asthma is a long-term medical condition in which the path of the airways becomes inflamed, narrow and swollen. Symptoms include coughing, wheezing and chest tightness.
LEKAST TABLET is contraindicated for use in patients having severe kidney impairment. Consult your doctor before use. Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking LEKAST TABLET as it could make you feel drowsier.
LEKAST TABLET may cause certain unpleasant neuropsychiatric events (such as anxiety, depression, nightmares, hallucinations or even suicidal thoughts) in some individuals. Contact your doctor immediately if you or anyone else experience such events during treatment with LEKAST TABLET.
The most common side effects of taking LEKAST TABLET are upper respiratory tract infection, fever, cough, inflammation of the pharynx, dryness of mouth, headache and sleepiness. Consult your doctor if any of the side effects worsen.
USES OF LEKAST TABLET
- Treats and prevents allergic rhinitis, chronic idiopathic urticaria and bronchial asthma in adults and in adolescents (aged 15 years or above)
HOW LEKAST TABLET WORKS
LEKAST TABLET provides relief from the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, asthma and urticaria where levocetirizine acts by blocking the actions of histamines (a substance that cause allergic reaction), at the H1 receptors present on the surface of cells and montelukast acts by blocking the action of leukotrienes D4 (an inflammatory molecule causing narrowing and swelling of the airways) in the lungs, thus causing relaxation of smooth muscle, reduction in swelling and/or inflammation of the airways and a marked decrease in the onset of allergic reactions.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Take LEKAST TABLET as advised by your physician. Swallow LEKAST TABLET with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration of LEKAST TABLET for you depending upon your age, body weight and disease condition.
SIDE EFFECTS OF LEKAST TABLET
- Upper respiratory infection
- Cough, cold, fever or flu-like symptoms
- Pharyngitis (inflammation of the pharynx)
- Headache and tiredness
- Dizziness, sleepiness
- Nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, thirst, stomach pain, diarrhoea, indigestion
- Otitis media (inflammation or infection of the ears)
- Skin rash
- Bleeding from the nose
- Muscle pain, joint pain
- Behaviour and mood-related changes
- Agitation including aggressive behaviour or hostility
- Dream abnormalities
- Bruising, itching, hives
- Muscle pain, muscle cramps, weakness
- Feeling unwell, swelling
- Increased bleeding tendency
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
- Angioedema (swelling underneath the skin)
- Palpitations (fast heartbeat)
Stop giving LEKAST TABLET to your child and contact doctor immediately if your child experiences any of the following side effects:
- Severe allergic reactions (such as skin rash, itching, swelling of the face, eyelids, mouth, throat and neck and difficulty in breathing or swallowing)
- Systemic eosinophilia (increased levels of WBC in the blood)
- Vasculitis or Churg-Strauss syndrome (inflammation of the blood vessels)
- Neuropsychiatric disorders (such as agitation, anxiety, depression, disorientation, hyperactivity, nightmares, hallucinations, insomnia, memory impairment, walking in sleep, tremor, attention disturbance)
- Thoughts of harming or killing yourself (suicidal ideation)
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Nausea and vomiting:
Try to take LEKAST TABLET with or just after a meal or a snack. Stick to simple meals. Avoid eating rich or spicy food. Consult your doctor if the symptom did not improve.
Drink lots of fluids such as water or fruit juices to keep yourself hydrated. Avoid taking any medicine on your own to treat diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if the symptom did not improve.
Rest and relax. Drink plenty of fluids such as water or electrolytes. Apply a pain-relieving balm on the forehead if required. Do not consume too much of alcohol. Consult your doctor if the symptom did not improve.
Try to rest and relax. Get enough sleep. Avoid driving or operating any tools or machines while you are feeling dizzy. Do not consume too much of alcohol, as it can aggravate your dizziness. Consult your doctor if the symptom did not improve.
Rest and relax. Eat and drink slowly or try to have smaller and frequent meals. Keep a heating pad on your stomach. Do not self-treat on your own and consult your doctor if the symptom did not improve.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
LEKAST TABLET should be used with caution during pregnancy only if considered clearly necessary. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
LEKAST TABLET should be used with caution in breast-feeding. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or operate any machines if you experience sleepiness/drowsiness, fatigue or physical weakness. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking LEKAST TABLET as it could cause a reduction in alertness and impairment of performance. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
LEKAST TABLET is not recommended for use in patients with severe kidney impairment. It should be taken with extreme caution in patients with kidney disease. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
LEKAST TABLET is not recommended for use in patients with asthma attacks. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET.
LEKAST TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
- Have galactose intolerance (inherited condition in which the body cannot convert galactose to glucose)
- Have Lapp lactase deficiency (deficiency of the enzyme lactase in the body)
- Have glucose-galactose malabsorption
- Have phenylketonuria (release of phenylalanine in urine)
Before taking LEKAST TABLET, inform your physician if you:
- Have or at risk of having epilepsy
- Have scheduled allergy skin tests
- Have sensitivity to aspirin or other NSAIDs
- Have any predisposing factors of urinary retention (Ex. spinal cord lesion, prostatic hyperplasia)
Use in pediatrics:
LEKAST TABLET is strictly not recommended for use in infants and children (aged below 15 years). Consult your child’s doctor for advice.
Use in geriatrics:
LEKAST TABLET should be used with caution in elderly patients (aged 65 years or above). Proper dose titrations and careful monitoring of kidney functions are required in such patients. Consult your doctor before taking LEKAST TABLET
A. Drug-Drug interactions:
Before taking LEKAST TABLET, inform your doctor, if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Gemfibrozil (used to control high blood cholesterol levels)
- CNS depressants (Ex. phenobarbital), phenytoin (used to treat epilepsy)
- Rifampicin (used to treat tuberculosis)
- Ritonavir (a medicine used to treat viral infections)
- Theophylline (a medicine used to treat asthma)
If you or anyone else take too much of LEKAST TABLET, contact your doctor immediately or go to a hospital straight away. Overdosage symptoms of LEKAST TABLET might include stomach pain, thirst, sleepiness, headache, vomiting, hyperactivity, agitation, excitation and restlessness.
There are no reviews yet.