About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Orlistat. It is a weight loss drug.
Uses of the drug:
The main function of the drug is it aids in weight loss The medicine is used along with low calorie diet, exercise, weight management programme to reduce and control obesity in people who are vulnerable to high cholesterol, triglycerides or high blood pressure.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by blocking some portion of the fat that is consumed and thereby preventing it from being absorbed by your body.
The manufacturer of Obelit- 120mg is Abbott Healthcare, India. You can purchase Obelit- 120mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Obelit - 120mg
- Lipocut 60mg
- Obelit 60mg
- Alli - 60 mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- If you are allergic to the main ingredient or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have gallbladder problems, or chronic malabsorption syndrome
- Have hypothyroidism, type 1 or 2 diabetes, a history of pancreatitis, an eating disorder, kidney or liver disease or any other ailments
- Are taking any other medicine
- Are allergic to any medicine.
How much to take the drug?
The recommended dose will be fixed by your doctor after examine you thoroughly. The normal dosage is 120 mg orally to be taken thrice a day with fat containing meal.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be taken by mouth with the help of a glass of water. It can be taken with the meal or within one hour of eating. Take the medicine as a whole.
For how long to take it?
The medicine is to be taken for the prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between without the approval of your doctor. Stopping the medicine in the mid way can lead to adverse effect in the body.
Overdose of the medicine can lead to several side effects. Hence it should be avoided. In case of overdose of the medicine you must get in touch with medical help as soon as possible.
In case of missed dose then you must take it as soon as you remember provided it is within 1 hour of your meal time. If it is more than one hour then you should skip the missed dose and follow the original schedule. Do not double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking the medicine at the same time each day will reduce the chance of missing any dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some common side effects of the medicine include:
- Rectal pain
- An oil discharge
- Overall weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Clay colour stools
In case the above side effects persist for long then you must get in touch with your doctor.
Some of the serious side effects of the medicine include:
- Severe pain in your lower back
- Less or no urination
- Bloody urine,
- Increased thirst
- Mood or behaviour changes
- Severe pain in upper stomach
- Weight gain
- Loss of appetite
- Increased heart rate
- Continuous vomiting
In case of the above side effects you must get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible. This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There are other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are some medicines which may interact with Orlistat and affects it’s working. You must tell your doctor about any other medicines that you are taking so as to avoid any drug interactions:
- Insulin or oral diabetes medications;
- Vitamin or mineral supplement that has beta carotene or vitamin E
This is not a complete list of medicines that may interact. There are other medicines as well.
Things to remember:
- Store the medicine in a dry, cool condition away from heat, light and moisture. It should also be kept away from the reach of children.
- Do not give the medicine to anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.
- Avoid a high fat diet while taking the medicine as it may lead to side effects in intestine and stomach.
- The medicine must not be taken by teenager between the age group 12-18 years
- A balance diet of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats should be taken along with the medicine. Exercise should also be done regularly.