A Contra kit is a medicinal package containing several medicines used for medical abortion or to terminate the pregnancy in the very early stages of pregnancy. The medication can work within 63 days of incubation. If the duration is longer than 63 days, it is prohibited from the doctor’s end through prescription, as it can cause severe repercussions if the course extends. Much severity is linked with the Contra kit usage for medical abortions, requiring appropriate guidance and knowledge. For this reason of helping the patient with proper knowledge about Contra kit: Basics, Uses, Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, and More, this article constitutes. All the information available in this article makes the person using the Contra kit more aware of the medicine and hence preserves the side effects that occur due to unawareness.
Contra kit majorly consists of two primary medicines that are Mifepristone and Misoprostol. There are a total of 5 tablets present in the Contra kit. One tablet is Mifepristone, and the other four are composed of Misoprostol. These five tablets use to terminate the pregnancy medically. We strictly recommend using the Contrakit within the premises of the doctor’s prescription as the doctor needs to evaluate the pregnancy with ultrasound or pelvic examinations along with other factors related to the individual’s health, such as prior medical conditions, age, allergies, ongoing medication, etc.
Basics of Contra kit Medications
Many patients opt for medical abortion in their later stages of pregnancy over 63 days. For instance, as per the data on Wikipedia in the United States, the average abortion rate in 2020 was 14.4 means 930,160 total absorptions. These patients that are willing for an abortion decided that almost ten weeks pregnant. The doctors do not recommend a Contra kit at this stage as there can be severe adverse effects on the patient’s health. These negative effects can also extend to the levels at which threats to life are possible. Hence in this section, we cover the general information that is mandatory for the patient consuming the Contrakit for its betterment. The appropriate knowledge can help the patient avoid the uncertainties that occur due to mismanagement of the medications.
- The medicines in the Contrakit help block the action of progesterone hormone, a female hormone required to maintain the pregnancy and induce uterus contractions. Both these things play a vital role in the early stages of the pregnancy to throughout the pregnancy, and altering this stops the pregnancy procedure completely. With time the body gets normal without any signs of pregnancy.
- One first takes Mifepristone medicine from the Contra kit of 5 pills. After that, wait for 36 to 48 hours and then take the remaining four tablets of Misoprostol. Mifepristone can severely impact the body such that a person experiences vomiting and then stops further taking the dose and consult with the doctor first.
- The common side effects of Contra kit include nausea, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. These are the mild ones, and the body recovers from these within 2-3 weeks. In case these get serious, consult with the doctor. There are severe side effects too of using the Contrakit, including abdominal pain, heavy vaginal bleeding, etc. In these cases, ask for immediate help and consult with the doctor immediately.
- In case one is having an ectopic pregnancy, using an intrauterine device, or breastfeeding, specifically tell your doctor about these and other ongoing medications before starting to consume the Contrakit tablets. There are chances that these medications alter the Contrakit medications’ functioning, creating uncertain situations of severe repercussions.
Uses and workings of Contra kit
The Contra kit is the most preferred medication for medical abortion or terminating the pregnancy. The Contra kit contains five bifurcated medications based on two broad drugs, i.e. Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The Contrast medicines’ functioning is that they block the workings of the progesterone hormone that synthesize in the female body and is mainly responsible for maintaining the pregnancy. The Contra kit medication also induces uterus contradictions that help with medical abortion.
The Contra kit medications work in two phases. Both ways depend on the drugs Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The first dose consumed by the patient is Mifepristone tablets, a synthetic steroid that, on oral consumption, interferes with the Progesterone Secretion functioning and terminates the proceedings in the body related to the pregnancy. It belongs to the group of gynecological medications that are called Abortifacients.
Once the functioning of pregnancy completely stops within the body. The Mifepristone uses are needed. One important note to remember is that the complete stop on the ongoing pregnancy proceedings within the body takes time. Hence the doctor recommends waiting for at least 36 to 48 hours before starting the consumption of the remaining four tablets in the Contra kit, based on Misoprostol. Misoprostol, one of the primary drugs in the Contra kit tablets, is a Synthetic Prostaglandin that softens the cervix, contracts the uterus, and hence allows a passage to empty the uterine contents. Misoprostol can be consumed orally or vaginally, depending on the patient’s condition and preferences.
Often there is a risk involved majorly with Misoprostol. Hence the procedure of its effects on the body is administered by the gynecologist’s supervision. The gynecologist’s care is essential for continuously monitoring the patient’s medical state and resolving the side effects or any other occurring uncertainties at its initial stages.
In the case of intrauterine pregnancy, the doctor always recommends the surgery over oral means such as Contrakit. The use of a Contra kit is that, as per the procedure, the patient first needs to consume the Mifepristone medicine orally with a glass of water within the same process used for regular medication. After that, the patient must wait three days on the safer side so that the pregnancy procedure completely stops within the body. After that, consume the misoprostol tablets as per the prescribed schedule. If any issue is related to Mifepristone, abort the whole procedure and consult with the doctor first. This same applies in case of any uncertainties with Misoprostol vaginal issues.
Dosage of Contra kit
The doctor decides the dosage instructions in the case of Contra kit. Of the two medicines that the Contra kit tablet contains, i.e. Mifepristone and Misoprostol, the latter tests under the gynecologist’s supervision. Hence, there is no need to take extensive care to maintain an appropriate routine of doses for the Contra kit.
The contract contains five tablets, one based on the Mifepristone medicine while the other relies on Misoprostol. The work bifurcates such that one doesn’t need to understand the daily dosage as it is pretty simple to take only one tablet from all five based on appropriate interval gaps as recommended by the doctor. The general gap is bound to 1 to 3 days wait after consuming Mifepristone and then consuming the remaining four tablets of Misoprostol as per the given instructions. Apart from it, there is nothing one needs to take care of about the dosage of Contra kit medications.
One major thing to note is that all the Contra kit medications are usually available at dosage strengths of Mifepristone 200mg and Misoprostol 200mcg. These Mifepristone and misoprostol doses can burden the individual’s body. Although the doctors thoroughly analyze the patient’s medical conditions, consult with the doctor if one feels that the dosage strength is too high to bear. Most doctors suggest a possible solution to lower the doses or replace the medication with another one with a lower dose option. The quantity can also vary in case of the passed duration of pregnancy. If the pregnancy is within the first week, then the doses are lower than one sitting at almost a completion of 63 days.
Side effects of Contra kit
Contra kit is known for its lesser side effects as the medications evaluates multiple times. Below is the list of side effects that the Contra kit shows:
- Vomiting or nausea
- Leg pain
- Lack of Sleep
- Appetite decrease
- Strength loss
- Breathing difficulties
- Difficulty is swallowing
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Severe vaginal bleedings]
- Unusual weakness and tiredness
- Cramps in uterine
The above side effects are common while consuming the Contrakit medication and are eliminated from the body within 2 to 3 weeks. If it gets stretched or becomes severe, consult your doctor immediately. Majorly the Contrakit side effects convert to severe ones due to carelessness or lack of knowledge about the medicine. This article completes it hence more reduces the chances of severe side effects.
Precautions with Contra kit
Every medication comes with various precautions. However, sensitive drugs such as Contrakit require special care and preventive measures. The measures related to Contrakit medicines are listed below with appropriate explanations. The precautions of Contrakit are categorized into subcategories so one can understand them better.
1. General precautions
- One should avoid alcohol consumption with Contrakit medications as there is evidence that alcohol increases uterine bleeding and is responsible for excessive drowsiness.
- Avoid ongoing medication such as antibiotics, anti-epileptics, immunosuppressants, ergotamine, corticosteroids, and antifungal drugs.
- The Contra kit medications use for medical abortion, so if someone is pregnant and consumes the Contra kit by mistake, then the pregnancy can stop within the body.
- One should avoid consuming Contra kit medications in case of breastfeeding as it passes to the baby through the breast milk and causes adverse repercussions for the baby.
- One should also avoid driving or operating heavy machinery as there is always a risk of vaginal bleeding.
- One should take extra care while consuming Contrakit medication for liver-related disorders or diseases. The doses need to be adjusted by the doctor in case of liver diseases or conditions.
- One should also take extra care while consuming Contrakit medication for kidney-related disorders or diseases. The doses need to be adjusted by the doctor in case of kidney diseases or conditions.
Note: In the case of other medication effects with Contrakit, one doesn’t need to check the ongoing medication drugs with the Contra kit. Various online medical stores like 24×7 pharma do appropriate factor checks, including medical conditions, continuous medication, allergies, etc., before placing medicines orders. Not only this, but the pills are also original and available at lesser prices with flat 20% discounts.
2. Other special precautions
Take ultrasound or pelvic examinations after completing the prescribed dosage of Contrakit medications to avoid future complications.
Better discuss the contraceptive options with your doctor as there are high chances of getting pregnant again immediately after the end of consumption of Misoprostol.
The general dosages that Contrakit contains for Mifepristone and Misoprostol are, Mifepristone 200mg and Misoprostol 200mcg, respectively. Hence, if this dosage burdens the body or one may notice side effects such as uncertain headaches or nausea, then consult the doctor to lower the doses.
The post-contrast side effects include blood pressure as a significant issue. Hence monitor your blood pressure daily and in case of too many noticeable fluctuations in the blood pressure, consult your doctor immediately.
If someone is Rhesus negative, tell your doctor beforehand, as special measures are required to prevent Rhesus (Rh) factor sensations before prescribing the Contrakit medication.
A Contra kit is a set of medications used for medical abortion, which means terminating the pregnancy with the help of oral medicines and does not require any physical procedures for absorption. The Contra kit is preferable as no other medication can match the efficiency of the Contra kit with fewer side effects. But there is a condition with the education that it only works if the pregnancy span is within 63 weeks from the first day of the last menses period. There are various other considerations and information related to the Contra kit: Basics, Uses, Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, and More that we have discussed in this article.
The main aim of this article is to educate the person using the Contrakit about the medicinal benefits and appropriate measures that help prevent side effects and any other uncertainties. By following the knowledge shared in this article, one can grasp all the minor details related to the Contrakit tablets and achieve the desired results.