ODASTIN M TABLET is a combination of Bilastine and Montelukast which belongs to the group of medicines called Histamine antagonists and Leukotriene antagonists, respectively. ODASTIN M TABLET is used in adults to treat allergic rhinitis (inflammation of nose due to allergens).
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use in patients allergic to bilastine and montelukast. It is also not recommended for use in patients with hereditary problems such as galactose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption (inability of the body to absorb glucose and galactose sugars) and Lapp lactase deficiency (lactose intolerance). The medicine is also not indicated for use in patients suffering from acute asthmatic attacks.
Before taking ODASTIN M TABLET, inform your doctor if you have kidney problems (such as moderate/severe renal impairment) and liver problems (such as mild to moderate hepatic insufficiency).
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use during pregnancy and is advised to be used with caution in breastfeeding women (only if necessary) after consulting the doctor. The medicine is also not indicated for use in children and adolescents (aged below 15 years) and is advised to be used with caution in elderly patients aged above 65 years.
The most common side effects associated with the use of ODASTIN M TABLET are headache, drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if any of these symptoms worsen.
USES OF ODASTIN M TABLET
- It is used to in adults to treat allergic rhinitis.
HOW ODASTIN M TABLET WORKS
ODASTIN M TABLET provides relief from allergic rhinitis where bilastine works by blocking histamine (chemical messenger responsible for allergy) thus preventing the occurrence of allergic symptoms and montelukast works by inhibiting the action of leukotrienes (chemical responsible for inflammatory reaction) thus preventing its occurrence and providing relief from associated symptoms of allergic rhinitis in affected individuals.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Take ODASTIN M TABLET as advised by your physician. Swallow the medicine with the glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. It should be taken before one hour or after two hours of taking food/fruit juice. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your age, body weight and disease condition.
SIDE EFFECTS OF ODASTIN M TABLET
- Headache, drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness
- Abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting
- Infections in upper respiratory tract
- Increased appetite, stomach inflammation
- Anxiety, sleeplessness, dizziness, tiredness, thirst, weakness
- General discomfort, sensation of ringing in the ears, vertigo (sensation of spinning)
- Heart block, sinus arrhythmia (irregular heartbeats)
- Shortness of breath, nasal dryness/discomfort
- Dry mouth, upper abdominal pain, stomach discomfort, indigestion
- Itchy skin, bruising, red itchy welts, swelling beneath the skin
- Signs of hypersensitivity reactions (including anaphylaxis) such as itchy skin, low blood pressure, wheezing, trouble breathing
- Sensation of pins and needles, seizure
- Nose bleeding, joint pain, muscle pain (including muscle spasm)
- Racing heartbeats
- Disturbed attention, impairment of memory
- Swelling of arms/legs
Stop taking ODASTIN M TABLET and contact your doctor if you experience any of the following side effects:
- Signs of serious allergic reactions (hypersensitivity) such as swelling of the face, mouth, lips, tongue and/or throat
- Signs of inflammation with eosinophilia such as swelling of the lungs causing difficulty in breathing
- Suicidal thoughts and actions
- Signs of hepatitis (inflammation of liver tissue) such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dark urine and jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eye whites)
- Severe skin reactions such as erythema multiforme and tender red lumps
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
If ODASTIN M TABLET causes headache, then take rest and drink plenty of fluids. Try to avoid drinking alcohol. Ask your doctor to recommend a painkiller. Headaches should usually go away after the first week of taking ODASTIN M TABLET. If it lasts more than a week or severe, inform your doctor.
Lie down until the drowsiness passes and get up slowly. Do not bend down suddenly. Get a lot of rest. Walk slowly and carefully. Take plenty of fluids. Avoid drinking coffee, alcohol or smoking. Consult your doctor if the condition persists for long or gets worsened.
Try to rest and get enough sleep. Try to avoid driving or operating any tools or machines while you feel dizzy. Limit consumption of alcohol, as it can aggravate dizziness. Consult and inform your doctor if the symptom worsens.
Try to take ODASTIN M TABLET with or just after a meal or a snack. Stick to simple meals. Avoid eating rich or spicy food. Consult your doctor if the symptom gets worse.
Drink lots of fluids, such as water to keep yourself hydrated. Try to avoid taking any medicine on your own to treat diarrhoea and consult your doctor if the symptom gets worse.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking ODASTIN M TABLET.
ODASTIN M TABLET should be used with caution in breastfeeding women only if it is clearly necessary. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
ODASTIN M TABLET is unlikely to affect your ability to drive or operate machines. Consult your doctor before taking ODASTIN M TABLET.
ODASTIN M TABLET should be used with caution in patients with kidney problems such as moderate/severe renal impairment. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
ODASTIN M TABLET should be used with caution in patients with liver problems such as mild to moderate hepatic insufficiency. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
Do not take ODASTIN M TABLET if you are allergic to bilastine, montelukast and/or any other ingredients of this medicine. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use in patients with lung problems such as acute asthma attacks. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
- Have hereditary problems such as galactose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption (inability of the body to absorb glucose and galactose sugars), Lapp lactase deficiency (lactose intolerance).
Use in Paediatrics:
ODASTIN M TABLET is not recommended for use in children and adolescents (below 15 years of age). Consult your doctor before taking ODASTIN M TABLET.
Use in Geriatrics:
ODASTIN M TABLET should be used with caution in elderly patients (aged above 65 years). Consult your doctor before taking ODASTIN M TABLET.
A. Drug-Drug Interactions:
Before taking ODASTIN M TABLET, inform your doctor, if you are taking any of the following medicine:
- Itraconazole, ketoconazole (medicines used to treat fungal and yeast infections)
- Erythromycin (medicine used to treat bacterial infections)
- Diltiazem (medicine used to treat high blood pressure)
- Lorazepam (medicine used to treat anxiety)
- Cyclosporine (medicine used to prevent organ rejection after a transplant)
- Ritonavir (used to treat AIDS)
- Rifampicin (used to treat bacterial infections including tuberculosis)
- Phenobarbital, phenytoin (used to treat epilepsy)
- Gemfibrozil (used to treat high lipid levels in plasma)
- Theophylline (medicine used to treat respiratory disease)
- Prednisone, prednisolone (medicine used to treat inflammation)
- Oral contraceptives (medicines used to prevent conception) Ex. ethinyl estradiol, norethindrone
- Terfenadine (medicine used to treat allergies)
- Digoxin (medicine used to treat heart failure)
- Warfarin (medicine used to prevent blood clotting)
- Paclitaxel (used to treat breast cancer, ovarian cancer, non-small cell lung cancer)
- Rosiglitazone, repaglinide (medicines used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus)
- Gemfibrozil (medicine used to lower blood cholesterol levels)
- Trimethoprim (medicine used to treat bladder infections)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (medicines used to treat pain and inflammation) Ex. aspirin
B. Drug-Food Interactions:
Avoid having grapefruit juice or any other fruit juice while taking ODASTIN M TABLET since it reduces the effect of the medicine. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
If you or anyone else accidentally takes too much of ODASTIN M TABLET, consult your doctor immediately or visit the nearby hospital. Symptoms of overdosage are dizziness, headache, nausea, abdominal pain, excess sleepiness, thirst, vomiting and mood disorders.
There are no reviews yet.